- The ASPCA has compiled information on many different common behavioral issues in dogs here: https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-care/common-dog-behavior-issues
- Looking to adopt a new pet? There are a ton of excellent rescue organizations in the LA area! I'd like to suggest you begin your search at LA Animal Services; an animal adopted from LA Animal Services is an animal that won't be euthanized. Learn more here: www.laanimalservices.com/adopt/finding-a-companion/
- Adopted a new pet? The Humane Society has some great information on how to prepare and what to expect here: www.humanesociety.org/animal_community/resources
- Do you have a question about urban wildlife in Los Angeles? Los Angeles Audubon has compiled an excellent list of resources here: www.laaudubon.org/wildlife-rehabilitation and The California Wildlife Center has even included an emergency phone number you can call: cawildlife.org/
- The Red Cross can help you and your pet prepare for emergencies and natural disasters here: www.redcross.org/get-help/how-to-prepare-for-emergencies/pet-disaster-preparedness
- Interested in learning how to preform pet CPR and first-aid? There are many organizations that offer hands-on, in-person training on this important subject, including the American Red Cross: www.redcross.org/take-a-class/first-aid/cat-dog-first-aid
- Download the American Red Cross's free pet first-aid app! Learn more here: www.redcross.org/get-help/how-to-prepare-for-emergencies/mobile-apps.html
- Are you a visual learner? LA's own talented Lili Chin has many excellent and helpful info-graphics and posters here: https://www.doggiedrawings.net/educational
- Want to know the difference between a dog trainer and a behaviorist? Here's what the ASPCA says: www.aspca.org/pet-care/general-pet-care/behavioral-help-your-pet and article from The Spruce Pets: www.thesprucepets.com/dog-trainers-versus-behaviorists-1118258
- Are you trying to find a Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist (CAAB)? Look here: http://www.animalbehaviorsociety.org/web/applied-behavior-caab-directory.php
- Interested in finding a Veterinarian Behaviorist (ACVB)? Look here: www.dacvb.org/page/about
- How to report animal abuse and/or cruelty:
- In Culver City: https://www.culvercitypd.org/city-hall/city-government/city-departments/police/culver-city-animal-services
- In Manhattan Beach: www.citymb.info/departments/police-department/programs-and-services/animal-control
- In LA County: http://www.laanimalservices.com/laws-policies/animal-cruelty/
- Do you see a dog left unattended in a hot car? California law: www.animallaw.info/statute/ca-cruelty-%C2%A7-5977-animal-endangerment-confinement-unattended-motor-vehicle-violations and a LA Times article on the subject: http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-save-hot-dog-20170713-story.html
- Did you know that the state of California requires animals in the back of pick-up trucks be properly restrained? Learn more at the California DMV or here: www.drivinglaws.org/resources/california-passengers-and-pets-pickup-trucks.htm
- Travelling with dogs? You'll want to bring food, water, and any medications, have the proper seat-belt/restraint, and know how to turn your air bag off. Check out the AKC's guide here: www.akc.org/expert-advice/home-living/complete-guide-to-traveling-with-your-dog/
- Finally, don't forget to check out The Humane Society's general information page here: http://www.humanesociety.org/animal_community/resources/
If you're interested in learning more about animal behavior, you may find one of the books listed below helpful!
- Dog Behavior: Modern Science and Our Canine Companions, by Jim Ha and Tracy Campion.
- Don't Shoot the Dog! The New Art of Teaching and Training, by Karen Pryor.
- Canine Body Language: A Photographic Guide - Interpreting the Native Language of the Domestic Dog, by Brenda Aloff.
- I'll Be Home Soon! How to Prevent and Treat Separation Anxiety, by Patricia B. McConnell.
- The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs, by Patricia B. McConnell.
- The Culture Clash - A revolutionary new way of understanding the relationship between humans and domestic dogs, by Jean Donaldson.
- Dogs Are From Neptune, by Jean Donaldson.
- Dogs - A New Understanding of Canine Origin, Behavior, and Evolution, by Raymond Coppinger and Lorna Coppinger.
- CatWise, by Pam Johnson-Bennett. Pam also hosts the TV show Psycho Kitty. More about her books and show can be found here: https://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/www.catbehaviorassociates.com/
- Thanks to Chelsea Cain, Lia Miternique, Kate Niemczyk, and Rachelle Rosenberg, you can now determine if your teenage daughter has been infected by Toxoplasmosis X and is now, in fact, a dangerous man-eating cat (graphic novel): imagecomics.com/comics/releases/man-eaters-1
MORE INFORMATION COMING SOON!
TORTOISES & BIRDS